Monday, July 21, 2008

Hummingnerd!

A few weeks ago I got a new camera and I've been attempting to learn how to use the sucker slowly. I have a week off work, so I decided to come up to the Coast and spend it with Cael. He has got a crazy herd of hummingbirds that live nearby and I have made it my mission of the week to get some good shots of these little guys.
The first 2 shots are not my pics, but I thought they were pretty good. They are called Rufous Hummingbirds.
Female
Male
Messing w/shutterspeed and apeture on the camera.

As you can see I am quite a nerd for these little guys. I have never in my life been a bird watcher, but up here with civilization 1/2 an hour away and no tv, these guys are pretty entertaining. They are a great subject to try at catch for a beginner photographer like me :)





5 comments:

Amanda #1 said...

I didn't know you lived 1/2 an hour from civilization and w/o TV! That kinda sounds like heaven to me :) (Of course, Ryan would have a heart attack if he couldn't watch the Twins *eyeroll*) Is the no-TV by choice or by chance?

Jenna said...

My bf lives up here, I live closer to Vancouver. In Sept. I am moving out here permanently, so it will be a bit of an adjustment. Oh well, my house now is 20 min from the city in the forest too.

Jessica said...

Love hummingbirds!!!!!!! When we lived upstate Ny, we had all kinds of hummingbirds in our front tree. I could sit out there and watch them all day. Great pictures girl!

Jenna said...

Thanks Jessica! That feeder is right outside my window, so I can prop open the window a few inches and stick the camera lense out without them noticing!

Maryann said...

I have just started getting into "bird watching". We have a bird house in the backyard, and now I think I will go buy a hummingbird feeder, too.