Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Yummiest Pasta Ever!

Last night I wanted something yummy and warm for dinner because though it is late August, it was darn cold here! (Go figure, cold in Canada?). I wanted pasta, but all I had was the boxed kind and that wasn't really doing it for me. I found a package of frozen wonton wraps in the freezer and got thinking. I have made ravioli out of wonton wrappers in the past with icky, soggy results. I did a quick Google search, and discovered that you can lightly sautee wonton pasta perfectly! I had a can of artichokes in the pantry and some parmesan cheese in the fridge so I got to work. Here is a quick re-cap/recipe:

1/2 of a small onion sauteed with 2 cloves garlic
1 can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 egg
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients in blender and pulse until mixture becomes a thick paste. Take one defrosted wonton wrapper and place it in ravioli press, fill with one tablespoon artichoke mixture, damped wonton edges with water and pinch. Dampening the edges works like a glue and helps wonton stay sealed. If you don't have a ravioli press, lay wonton flat and place 1 tablespoon artichoke mixture in the middle. Dampen edges and gently fold wonton into triangle. I definitely reccomend buying a ravioli press at any local dollar store! So cheap and they really do make wonderful wonton pasta! Heat skillet with a few swirls of olive oil. Place one layer of wontons on skillet and fry for appx 2-3 minutes per side, until wontons are a golden brown. Serve hot with your favorite sauce and fresh parmesan cheese, of serve them naked!

Here are a couple of pics of the results...Sorry they are such poor quality. I took them with my Blackberry.


I'm so excited these worked out so well! I can't wait to think of more yummy recipes to make for Cael. Bon appetit!

1 comment: