Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sushi Fest 09!

Last night Cael and I went down to the Biddlecombe's house to have our first sushi making party of the year! Please excuse the blurry pics...The lighting was pretty dim at their house last night and my flash is out of batteries! Anyways, we've been making our own sushi for the last 6 months or so because there are only 2 sushi places on the entire Sunshine Coast. As avid sushi lovers, this is not acceptable! Lol! Because you have to take a ferry to get to the Coast, all restaurants and stores are more expensive than Vancouver. We've worked out that it is cheaper in the long run to just buy the sushi making supplies at an Asian market when we're in Vancouver and just make it yourself! It's taken a few goes, but I think we definitely have the right technique down!

My personal favorite, the avocado yam tempura roll! We make our own tempura ahead of time (this takes the longest as you have to do it in smaller batches). I made this one. I haven't quite gotten the tight rolling technique down, but oh well, it still tasted great! We kept and cleaned some sushi boxes from a restaurant so we can serve ours on them.

This is a simple tekka (tuna) roll! I find these ones harder to make than the inside-out rolls! These ones are Cael's specialty! We recently bought a proper Japanese sashimi knife which is amazing! My one piece of advice for sushi makers is to invest in a proper knife! It will make the world of difference in your cuts!
This one is Keith's California roll with crab, avocado and cucumber. Yum! The Biddle's got an amazing sushi set for Christmas!
Here is a massive plate of sashimi! We buy big blocks of sashimi-grade tuna and salmon from T&T Market (a massive Asian grocery store chain) in Vancouver and slice it into pieces. Again, a proper knife is so important for creating nice, even pieces. This stuff is Cael's favorite...As a vegetarian, I've never tried it, but by the way they rave about it, it must be tasty!
And finally, here is the end result! Waaay too many rolls for us all to eat, a massive plate of yam tempura, and a big platter of beef gyoza! In all it took probably an hour to make the entire meal. Keith and Serena always cook the rice ahead of time in their rice maker, so I didn't count that in the cooking time. The rolls only took about 1/2 an hour to whip up! Once you've done it a few times, they are so quick and easy! If you need any sushi-making tips, feel free to ask! :)




4 comments:

Jessica said...

I want to eat my computer screen just looking at your pictures. drooooool!

Jenna said...

Heheh thanks!

Amber said...

Look so good, the avocado roll looks so yummy

Maryann said...

I hate sushi! But I love you Jenna, so I guess that makes up for it, ha!